Sunday, June 9, 2013

Adam in A'dam

Today a friend of mine was off to Amsterdam and I was reminded of one of the best trips of my life. Going to Amsterdam in 2010 for a tennis tournament. To be honest, it was trip I didn't want to take. My doubles partner Daniel wanted to practice on some European red clay (and eat some stroop waffles)before our competition in Cologne. I couldn't afford two trips to Europe, but Daniel offered a flight that he could get for free from his work(he flies all year long) and we would have free accomodation, so it was impossible to turn down. I had been to A'dam 10 years earlier when I was 18 or 19 and I was about to embark on a whole new experience of the city.
Dani and I gearing up for a bikeride.
We went in late May and the weather was just turning to perfect spring weather, everything was in bloom(A'dam is known for its tulips). We rented bikes and stayed with American friends who had a great set up. The tennis facility was outside of the city, so we had a nice long ride to get there. Amsterdam may be the most bike friendly city in the world and you can't believe how many bikes there are. We biked through Vondel park where all the local Dutch people were out and about enjoying the ideal conditions. Something really cool happened on one of my bike rides. Have you ever had a dream of something and then years later see what you dreamed about? I dreamed of a random blue and gray building, it was a lucid dream. Then years later, I was biking by this random blue and gray building. It was a simple structure and I had never seen it before except in my dream, years before. Wonder how that happened.
The tennis facility was beautiful and the ride there was breathtaking. I felt like I was in a Van Gogh painting. After the tennis, Daniel and I did go to Van Gogh museum, which is incredible. I could literally feel the pain of his life in the beauty of his work. Daniel had a similar experience.
 
I couldn't believe this was the same city I had been 10 years ago. I went there not as a tennis player and was high most of the time.  I must of stayed in the backpacker party areas, which can get a little funky because I just remember experiencing it as dirty and overwhelming. The Anne Frank museum is absolutely mind-blowing and unforgettable.
 
10 years later, it was fresh and clean or maybe I was fresh and clean.  I wonder what it would be like if I go in another ten years. Literally, I never want to go back to A'dam again because it was such a perfect dream and my memory is so good, I don't want to mess with it. The more time passes the more the memory fades however. Biking through that city, with perfect weather and open markets and meeting new friends from Germany and UK made me want to live in Europe.
 
 
A'dam turned out to be a turning point in my life. Something got inside of me there.  I was fairly comfortable in Miami when I left, and when I got back I no longer wanted to live in Miami. I realized there is a whole big world out there and I want to see it. I have virtually been a nomad ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment