Saturday, June 29, 2013

Go Wherever you wanna go

My emotions are mixed. I am sad to be leaving Austin, vacillating between being connected and attached. I like my routine, my surroundings, its very comfortable, even feels like home. Movement is calling me, one last nomadic adventure before I make a possible commitment of a year lease. These three months in Austin have been just what I needed. I love it here but what kind of nomad would I be if I just settled down?

Memories of last year are surfacing, I can't help but compare. To Tuscon.  I love Romy and Michelles high school reunion. I watched it for the first time in high school and hated it and then watched it again years later and thought it was the funniest movie I have ever seen. Funny how things change.

I am listening to Patty Griffin's new album, American Kid. This song, Go where you want to go, resonates like a mother. So I decided to cover it for my last blog while in Austin. I drove to Austin on a whim a year a half ago, with a dream in my heart. To buy a guitar, learn how to sing, and write some songs for an album. Of course I got distracted, but I did work on it a bit. I used to be able to sing free and loud and that went away for a long while and its slowly coming back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qdefT_ILo

I love Patty, got to see her perform some songs from her new album here in Austin. Her albums Impossible Dream and Living with Ghosts got me through some hard times. For me she is the best singer songwriter.
I love Austin. I feel connected to people here, I love the topography and cooling off in the summer at Bartons. Got back into some tennis here. Took a writing class and been getting back into my meditation and recovery. I love leaving a place with my heart full and eager to return. Austin is one of the few places that does that to me. In the meantime. I will go Wherever I want to go. I am so excited for my roadtrip. To Tuscon, the west coast and then driving cross country for the first time and back with the family for grandfathers 90th birthday and a sisters wedding. Then after all that. I am planning to be back in Austin.  Many thanks to everyone for reading my blog. My nomad incarnation has been my most eclectic and fun yet. Maybe everything that motivates it is not all peaches and cream. Heres an attempt at songwriting/poetry. Maybe I will finish that album one day.

Today is not that day

One of these days I’m a settle down
I’ll buy me some land and hold my ground

I’ll get a little house and plant some plants
I’m gonna put some roots down in the yard

Today doesn’t happen to be that day
Maybe one day I will miss your sweet ways and bitter after taste
I always eat what’s on my plate

Even if it doesn’t taste so great
Don’t want to see you, hear you or smell you again
You poisonous frog

Maybe one day I will love you again from far away
Today is not that fucking day

Maybe down the road, I will remember I have a heart
And it will start working again before it’s too late
Put my two feet on the ground, keep on marching on
Keep on keeping on

Before I am six feet under
I am gonna settle down

Find me some land and stand my ground
Today is not that day

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment